Respect & Boundaries
There are various ways that student might experience or enact invasions of privacy. Understanding how they can both protect themselves from such invasions and avoid carrying them out is critical for digital citizenship today.
- SWBAT describe and avoid the many ways one might invade someone else’s privacy.
- SWBAT consider others’ feelings before capturing or sharing something about them.
- Handout: Scenarios
- Note: This handout is included in the full document which has been linked at the bottom of this page.
Timeline [15 min]
- Boundaries - 15 min
Boundaries [15 min]
Pair and Share: Ask students to pair up and discuss the scenarios. Discussion questions are below. Students should reflect on their own norms about privacy, social media, trust, and bullying.
- How would that make Nadia feel?
- Why would Nadia not want to tell her friends about her bad grade?
- Were Julie’s actions acceptable?
- How would the other friends at the lunch table feel about Julie’s actions?
- What do you think about Julie? Was she acting ethically? Would you want to be friends with Julie?
- How would you feel if someone did it to you?
- Is snooping ever okay? What if you are worried about your friend?
- Photo Sharing
- Why might Caitlin post the photo online?
- Why is Rodrigo upset?
- What if Caitlin posted that picture online? Or texted it to friends?
- What do you think Rodrigo should say to Caitlin?
- How would you feel if someone took an embarrassing picture of you? Would you want that online?
- Information Boundaries
- Who needs to know about her bad grades? Her medical history? Her boyfriend? Why?
- Who might Ingrid want to talk to about any of these issues?
- Who doesn’t need to know certain things? Why?
- In your life, what are examples of information which you want your parents to see but not your friends, or vice versa?
Inform students that some forms of snooping are actually illegal and, almost all the time, snooping is probably not ethical. In different kinds of relationships, people want to share different pieces of information about themselves. This variation is reasonable and normal.
- Clips from TV shows where characters snoop on other characters
- LOL: This Woman Screencaps Her Mom’s Hilarious Text Message Fails: http://www.clickhole.com/article/ lol-woman-screencaps-her-moms-hilarious-text-messa-2335
- Note: Clickhole is a satirical website